Sunday, August 11, 2013

The future of a neighborhood

This blog is a tool for me to record my thoughts, ideas, and inspiration as I journey this year into my masters thesis project. The final product is a designed space that utilizes public art to bring people together, catalyzing dialogue and communication between users. 

I have been asked by many, why Anacostia? Over the years SE Anacostia has been asscociated with crime, drugs, and poverty, a picture that causes many outsiders to avoid this area at all costs. Though Anacostia and surrounding neighborhoods do hold some of the highest rates of crime and poverty in D.C. there is more to these urban neighborhoods that meet the eye.

This past year I have been immersing myself within the Anacostia community to gain a better understanding of the social and environmental relationships within the neighborhoods. In addition, I'm at the stage of design in which an inventory of the site (i.e. natural environment, built environment, amenities, materials, topography).

The following are pictures showing sites of interest for public art. What they have in common is: open space (public/private), high pedestrian and vehicular traffic, and at important nodes within Anacostia. 
To many it may be hard to see the potential, but I see a canvas ready to be painted on. 








No comments:

Post a Comment